Home » Meeting Minutes

May 2018 Steering Committee Meeting Minutes

Submitted by Editor on June 5, 2018 – 2:01 pm | Print or Email »No Comment

May 17, 2018 EHNA Steering Committee Meeting Minutes
6:30 PM at Boyd Park Shelter, Eau Claire

Members in attendance: Eric Anderson, Susan Bauer,  Chris Buske, Carey Hoeft, Gina Keenan-Klages, Tania Mathews, Shannon Paulus, Michael Rasmussen, Chad Rowekamp, Mark Ruddy,  Meg Nord

Members absent: Kim Cronk

Guests: Eau Claire Police Lieutenant Ben Frederick and another Officer.

Secretary’s Report: Mark Ruddy thanked Association members for approving the April minutes via email in a timely manner, which allowed the minutes to get on the website quickly.

Treasurer’s Report:
Feb Total: $818.46
IN: $0
OUT:
-$113.45 (Hosting and Domain renewal for website)
-$20.00 (Facebook ad to promote semi-annual meeting)

May Total: $685.01

HumanKIND
Feb Total: $523.85
IN:  $0
OUT: $0
May Total: $523.85

Our “savings account” held by E C Community Parks Association: $1611.13 (we have designated this to future Boyd Park projects because it was surplus donated to us for Park restroom improvements).

Received $25 donations at spaghetti dinner at the April meeting.

Reimbursement approvals: Motions was made and carried to reimbursement for the following:
* Mark Ruddy – Child Care for April meeting – $20 (2 adolescent childcare providers)
* Shannon Paulus – Thrift sale ad
* Mark Ruddy – $9.23 for compost on Margaret Street Boulevards

Police Discussion:
* Hand gun found at Boyd Park in a wooded area by kids.  The kids did a good job by not touching it and by telling a dad (was rewarded with ice cream coupons via police).  Gun was stolen in 2016 from an unlocked vehicle in Banbury area. Probably tossed in woods from food bridge by whomever stole it.
* Doty Street issue brought up by Mark:  alcohol-induced bad language at yard party.  Police recommended call them while problem is in progress (their records did not show history at that site).
* Officers were thanked once again for the extra patrolling on Margaret especially during school hours. Few tickets handed out but generally speed is reduced just by police presence.

Old Business

Thrift Sale Report: 140 homes signed up for thrift sale.

April meeting and spaghetti feed evaluation: the Spaghetti feed and pot luck offerings was a big success; we recommended to have a dinner every six months before our spring and fall meetings.
Chef Michael Rasmussen spent only $59.48 on the spaghetti cost to feed about 50 Neighbors.

501c3 status: Eric Anderson is working on it and will submit the paperwork needed for filing for 501c3 status.  Association needed to provide five addresses and technical information before he could finish the paperwork.

Eau Claire River Access: Before this meeting, Steering Committee’s Gina alerted us to a federal grant to potentially fund our river access concept to improve Boyd Park; deadline is the end of June. Chris Buske agreed to head a committee to explore this option asap. Other members of this committee are: Tania, Gina, Chad, Shannon, Carey. They will look into us applying for the grant. Chris said he will discuss this grant option with Landscape Architect Chris Silewski who will then discuss it with Jeff Pippenger of Community Services (“parks department”) about responding to the grant opportunity. Chris would do some design work to enable him to suggest a project cost for River Access Project. At some future point it needs to be decided if, when and how we could pay Chris Silewski for his professional work beyond this initial concept. Even if this specific grant option does not work out for us, in the future we may need to come up with a design plan that can be used for fundraising. It needs to be clarified at our June meeting if Chris’s committee is charged just with pursuing this grant or has it a longer term and scope.

Boyd Park Plus Report:  Mark Ruddy asked the Steering Committee members to read the email he sent to Members that describes the Boyd Park Plus project that used Service Learning students from UW-EC for the spring semester that looked at improvements for the Park.

Harding Avenue Mural: Gina Keenan-Klages mentioned that the art teacher at Flynn has left.  Gina has talked to the city’s art advisory board; at this stage they will support us but need to see a plan first. Gina will make contacts to determine if there is time and interest for such a mural.

Regis Area Parking Issues: Mark pointed out that there has been long term Neighbor complaints. If Neighbors do some preliminary work to improve this problem our Association may be able to help. Neighbors should also contact their City Council member Jeremy Gragert who has expressed interest.

Boyd Park Prairie-herbicide certification: Laurie Lyne has volunteered to get certified in the application of herbicides to help control invasive young trees within the prairie.  A motion was made and seconded to pay $50 towards her certification which is good for 5 years.

New Business

Skateboarders/Prairie: Mark stated the skateboarders are planning to spend an evening removing invasive plants from the prairie tentatively set for 7/11, 6:30 to 8:30.

Neighborhood Fundraisers: Erica Zerr has a suggestion for a future fundraiser: a race event through our neighborhood.  Another potential money maker would be to offer an aid station during the EC Marathon as it passes through Boyd Park.

EHNA Budget: Mark Ruddy suggested in the future we might want to set up an annual budget for EHNA.

Kubb Tournament: Eric Anderson asked if there was still enough interest to help set up at the Kubb Tournament.  The Association agreed to help set up again.

Vegetable Stand: Mark Ruddy will set up the vegetable stand.  Looking for some volunteers to help with this process. He will check with the renters to see if still ok to use the same location as other years.  It was suggested to also check with the home owner.

Thrift Sale Map Box: Shannon Paulus asked if she could get approval to buy another map box due to the fact one is missing.  A motion was made and approved to purchase a new map box.

Acoustics: Mark complained about the poor acoustics in the Boyd Park Shelter because it is hard to hear people speak due to the lack of sound absorbing materials. He stated he would find other places to meet until acoustics are improved.

These minutes were approved via email or in person by the following: Meg, Shannon, Carey, Mike, Chad, Tania, Chris, and Kim.

Submitted by Sue Bauer and Mark Ruddy.
Next meeting: June 21, 6:30 p.m.  Location: Eau Claire Music School if not notified otherwise.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Leave a comment!

Add your comment below, or trackback from your own site. You can also subscribe to these comments via RSS.

Be nice. Keep it clean. Stay on topic. No spam.

You can use these tags:
<a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

This is a Gravatar-enabled weblog. To get your own globally-recognized-avatar, please register at Gravatar.