An Eastside Hill Business Chronology
by Roxanne K. Owens
First city jail built on 400 block of Doty Street.
John W. French owned a blacksmith shop on the corner of Kelsey and Doty Streets.
June 23, 1870
The old City jail was known as “the white house on the hill.”
October 6, 1870
The old wooden jail, 24 x 36 feet, two stories, two cells, was still located in the 400 block of Doty Street. Half the building was occupied by Mark Sherman, a deputy sheriff, and his family.
May 5, 1875
The jail located in the 400 block of Doty Street was destroyed by fire.
May 6, 1875
The survey of the addition beyond University Square began and streets were laid out.
June 23, 1881
A building boom was noted. The second ward by then had 28 “tenements” and 13 businesses.
March 12, 1893
Herman Bluedorn rented and later purchased Dinger Greenhouse at 941 Main Street.
May 2, 1895
R. G. Shaker, who had been in business with the M. W. Burns Photographic Gallery for 11 years, purchased the firm from Mrs. Burns. Mr. Shaker lived on the corner of Doty and Main Streets in the Darwin Whipple home.
April 25, 1900
Eau Claire Grocery Company was located at 406 – 410 Eau Claire Street. There were three buildings there and they sold wholesale groceries. They had been in business since 1883 and business officers included William Rowe, President; W. A. Rust, Vice President; and George Johnson, Secretary.
April 2, 1901
Main Street hill was finally passable for the first time. It had been laid out in 1881.
June 20, 1901
Children’s Home mentioned on east side hill.
June 19, 1904
Main Street hill was improved and now had less of a grade than the Grand Avenue hill.
January 20, 1911
Eau Claire Concrete Company bought four large lots on Main Street — one from John S. Owen and three from L. A. Doolittle above Dewey Street.
March 9, 1911
The School Board purchased land for a playground for the Second Ward School.
Eau Claire Concrete Company was located at 501 – 515 Main Street.
September 20, 1914
Herman Bluedorn was a florist whose business was now located at 416 Dodge Street.
September 20, 1914
Hoeppner-Bartlett Company was located at 412 – 422 East Grand Avenue.
July 27, 1916
The Main Street Hill was blacktopped.
January 21, 1917
The new Second Ward School was considered the finest in the city. The architect for the project was Edward J. Hancock.
April 6, 1922
The Wide A Wake Shoe Repair opened at 413 East Grand Avenue.
November 26, 1922
Herman Bluedorn, who lived at 604 Gray Street, died. He was born in Germany in 1855 and owned his florist business for 32 years.
The city extended East Grand Avenue through Boyd Park to Summer Street.
September 21, 1926
The new high school was dedicated.
October 13, 1929
A new addition was completed which added four rooms and about 70 new students to the Second Ward School.
November 28, 1931
Opening of the Gray Street hill.
December 28, 1932
The dump located at McGraw Street and the Eau Claire River was ordered closed.
July 14, 1938
Work began on Wagner’s Bowling Alley, which would house 20 lanes on Brackett Avenue.
February 15, 1945
Solberg’s Bowling Alley, located at 507 Main Street, was destroyed by fire.